4.27.2005

Foxy Money Savin' Lady

It's 8:08 on a Wednesday night, and I'm sitting in front of my computer with my hair pulled back, an almost-dry face mask, and yoga pants. Silly as I may look, it's nice to know I'm in for the night. Who knows, maybe this evening I will capture that ever-elusice 8 hours of sleep. Or, since I'm about to work on some more website (no, not mine, you should know better) stuff, probably not.

I spent an hour in Barnes and Noble today reading Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I admit, I now idolize the guy a bit--I first read his column in Relevant, and it cause Shannon and I to decide that we want to pay for our first house with as much cash as possible. Now, ever since I read his first book, Financial Peace, I've been amazed at how absolutely in debt most Americans are. Not to sound like a 40 year old woman or anything (c'mon, I'm listening to Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" on my record player), but college kids are so naive. I've always known that credit cards are bad, and I'm lucky enough that I have no debt other than student loans, but I never realized just how many sharks are out there ready and willig to take all of your money just so you can have everything "now." I've really started to realize the benefits of cash and how important it is to never ever ever use credit. I just wish that i could give this book to everyone that I know--I can't even begin to imagine how much better things will be for my finances in the long run, just by being able to pull the shades back right now.

So that's your financial advice for the evening--go read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. Your kids will thank you one day (and you'll thank yourself when retirement means traveling to Europe instead of trips to the Trailer Park mailbox).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home