10.24.2007

Getting used to home (for now)

I'm about to go program my new cell phone while watching Gilmore Girls on DVD, then make some lunch. There's a happy cat sleeping on the floor next to my desk chair. I like days like this.

I've started getting into the "groove" of things. First off, let me just say that I am a big fan of this whole "married" thing. Definitely a big fan. It's funny, sometimes it all feels so surreal. Like we aren't really married, because it should be tricker and more complicated than this. But it isn't. All those things people say about living with your best friend and not having to go home at night because you already are home--they're true.

I'm also getting used to having an actual house as opposed to just one room (since I lived in my bedroom at the B&B for over a year)! It's really great to be able to spread out on a couch and have a kitchen table and a desk in a separate office. We really love Chris and Erin's place (we're housesitting for them while they're in Italy until April). It will be sad to leave when it comes to that, especially the cats (they're great). But for now we're just praying that God will provide us with a decent and inexpensive place to live after this so we can save lots of money to get some land and eventually build.

I never really saw myself as the kind of person who would build a house. I used to think one day my husband and I would buy an older house and fix it up, because that seemed like fun and a good way to make the house our own. But in St. Augustine, houses are so expensive (not that buying land will be a ton cheaper), and now that I know lots of things I'd want in a house, it will be much more fun to tailor it just for us. Especially since we don't want some giant McMansion (I'm a big fan of the "Not So Big House" movement). Just something cozy with enough room for us and a way for us to add on when we need to.

Listen to me, daydreaming about building a house! We still have a ways to go. But I'm enjoying it, and I'm glad we're taking things in the steps they're supposed to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home