I went strawberry pickin' today. No, not "picking." Pickin'. There must be an apostrophe, or it just is not the same pickin' experience. It was actually more fun than I thought it would be. Especially since it was just me and my parents...and I had to get up at nine. Ok, granted, nine am isn't exactly the crack of dawn. But I didn't fall asleep until three or four last night. Why? Power surges.

I got home from work at 8:00 last night. And let me be the first to say, it's bad enough working on a holiday. But when every single person who calls to ask if you're open is shocked, and expresses their pity for you...well, it doesn't exactly make one excited to be there. Luckily, the day went by fairly quickly and I wasn't even all that tired when I arrived home. After a little more "Advanced CSS" tutorial-ing, we got in the car and headed a few streets over to where the city fireworks were being held.

Every year, the city north of us has a huge fireworks display at their outdoor concert venue. This year, for some reason, they decided not to do it, so my nice city decided to grab it. Which meant all the people that normally go to the other fireworks, along with thousands more that live in our area, were all within a five mile vicinity surrounding my house.

Yeah. Lots of traffic.

We actually managed to get a decent parking spot in one of the business lots near the Tech Center (where they were launching them) and just sat outside our car. It was nice not to have to walk anywhere. So we put down the beach mat, set up a lawn chair, and waited. And...waited. As ten o'clock drew closer, the sky darkened with clouds and we could see lightning flicker in the corners of the sky. Eventually it came closer to the center, and God gave us some fireworks of his own. It was heat lightening, and it shot down from the sky in different configurations. As cool as the lightning was, people began to get antsy. It was 10:13, and the fireworks were supposed to start promptly at 10:00.

Finally, one of the security guards that was circling the parking lot on rollerblades (and let me tell you, ya haven't lived until you've seen a security guard on rollerblades) informed us that the show was deylayed until 10:30. So my parents and I sat back and waited some more. I read a little of Atlas Shrugged and drank more root beer. Minor problem--drinking lots of root beer and sitting in one place for a long time leads to a need for, well, a restroom. Which is sad, because when the fireworks finally did start at 10:30, my thoughts were along the lines of:
Ooooh! Cool! Ok, really have to go to the bathroom....wow! Neat! Gotta go to the bathromm, gotta go to the...nifty! Need a restroom, need a restroom...

And so forth. After a half hour (I told you, these are city fireworks. Big fireworks), they were over and it was all I could do to make it the short ride home.

I spent the rest of the evening on the computer, until around 1:30 when the heat lightning came around again. And the power surged. And the computer died.

I left it off and decided that it might be a good time to go to bed. Hah. Nice try, brain. After taking out my contacts and finally settling in, the power came back on. And off. And on. And continued to surge back and forth for another two hours. Now, this wouldn't typically be a problem. However, I have an electric window-unit air conditioner in my room. Which meant every time the power surged, it would turn off (heh, duh) and then turn back on. And it became really, really loud.

So yes, that is why I am running on six hours of sleep and a Tim Horton's French Vanilla Cappuccino.


Post a Comment

<< Home